The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Do you like Piña Coladas?
I don’t know about you, but a long Midwest winter makes me crave a taste of the tropics! While we all may not be able to jet set to a beachy destination, we can at least pretend with our food and drink.
A Piña Colada is a classically creamy beach cocktail swirling with flavors of pineapple and coconut. It usually includes rum, but the great thing about this recipe is that it is alcohol-free for those partaking in Dry January or a sober lifestyle.
If you love the classic cocktail, don’t worry! What this drink lacks in alcohol it makes up for in added fruity flavor thanks to Health-Ade Strawberry Glow kombucha.
Available in the cooler in Heinen’s Wellness Department, the flavor of this gut friendly fermented beverage compliments the basic elements of the dink perfectly, but it’s also full of probiotic goodness that will nourish you from the inside out. I call that a win-win!
Blended until smooth and served in glasses rimmed with agave and crushed coconut flakes along with fruity garnishes, this summer-inspired drink will be the best thing you sip all winter!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1/2 cup Health-Ade Strawberry Glow kombucha, add more for thinner consistency
- 1/2 cup Heinen's unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup agave nectar, plus more for rimming
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. rum extract, optional
- 3/4 cup Heinen's frozen pineapple
- 6-8 Heinen's frozen strawberries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes, blended until finely ground
- Tropical fruit of choice, for garnish
- Blend the coconut flakes in a high-powered blender until finely ground. Set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients, except for the ground coconut flakes, to the blender and blend until smooth, about one minute.
- Rim the glasses with the extra agave nectar, then dip into the ground coconut flakes.
- Pour the piña coladas into the rimmed glasses and garnish with tropical fruit of your choice.