The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Is there anything better than fresh, in-season sweet corn? I’m perfectly content eating it straight off the cob with some butter and salt, but there are so many delicious ways to enjoy this summer staple. This savory Sweet Corn Fritter Pie is inspired by classic corn and cheddar fritters and hearty enough to serve as a vegetarian lunch or dinner. Top it with sour cream and serve alongside fresh fruit or a simple salad.
Cutting fresh corn kernels off the cob can get a little messy. Here’s a tip: Stand a shucked cob in the center of a bundt pan. Starting at the top, cut off the kernels using a sharp chef’s or paring knife. The bundt pan will catch all of the kernels. If you don’t have a bundt pan, place a small bowl upside-down inside a larger bowl for the same effect.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 ½ Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels cut from 4 medium cobs (see note)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 package Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
- Sour cream
- Note: To cut corn from the cob, place a shucked cob in the middle of a bundt pan and cut off the kernels from the top down. The pan will catch the kernels. Alternatively, you can place a small bowl upside down inside a larger bowl.
- Pre-heat oven to 375˚F.
- In a 10-inch oven-safe cast iron skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the corn and cook for 5 additional minutes, then season with the salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn muffin mix, buttermilk, cheddar cheese, eggs and cayenne, if using. Add the onion and corn and mix until well-combined.
- Carefully wipe out the skillet and grease with the remaining ½ Tbsp. butter. Pour the batter into the pan and transfer to pre-heated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden brown around the edges. Allow to stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve topped with sour cream.