The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
If you’re craving a burger but looking to cut back on your meat intake, add these sweet and savory quinoa cakes to your menu!
Just as hearty as a traditional beef patty, these meatless cakes are made from only quinoa, sweet potatoes and simple spices that are likely already lying around your kitchen, making this recipe a perfect healthy weeknight dinner.
To keep with the healthy trend, I swapped a burger’s traditional French fry side kick for an light and fresh Mediterranean salad complete with Heinen’s Southwestern Hummus.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 10 Cakes
For the Quinoa Cakes
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. Two Brothers all purpose seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
For the Mediterranean Salad
- 1/3 cup Heinen’s Southwestern Hummus
- 15-20 mozzarella pearls
- 1 farm house tomato or baby tomatoes
- ½ seedless cucumber, diced
- 2 Tbsp. basil
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add water, quinoa and spices/ seasonings to a deep skillet. Bring to a boil, then cover and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Remove the lid and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, place the sweet potato cubes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spray with Heinen’s olive oil spray and bake in a 400˚F oven for 20 minutes.
- When the quinoa is done and the sweet potatoes are cooked, add the sweet potatoes to the quinoa.
- Form the quinoa and sweet potato mixture into palm-size patties.
- Once the patties are formed, add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil into a skillet and cook the patties over high heat until the quinoa starts to form a golden crispy crust. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown, approximately 5-6 minutes per side.
- While the quinoa cakes are cooking, dice the cucumber and tomato and chop the basil. Toss together with mozzarella pearls, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread the 1/3 cup of Heinen’s Southwestern hummus across the side of a plate and spoon the Mediterranean salad over top.
- Top with the quinoa cakes and enjoy!
Note: You can also serve these quinoa cakes on a pita with lettuce, tomato and tzatziki sauce for a Greek-style wrap.