The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
While Jack Frost is nipping at my nose, I’ll be nipping on my Sweet & Smokey Snack Mix! It’s the perfect mix of sweet and savory flavors with a plethora of different textures. It “chex” everything off the list you’d want in a snack.
This recipe couldn’t be any easier, well you could just buy bagged snack mix, but I promise you, this isn’t your regular old snack mix.
Honestly, the crackers, cereal and nuts you choose don’t really matter because the secret is in the sauce! The majority of the flavor comes from Two Brothers Sweet & Smokey seasoning, which can be found at Heinen’s. A lot of “smokey” seasonings have an overpowering aroma and taste of artificial smoke. That’s a no from me dog! Heinen’s found the ideal balance of sweet and smokey in this seasoning, and it continues to blow me away each and every time I cook with it. Mix this with butter and Worcestershire sauce, and you’re packing all the flavor you could ever need. Sometimes I’ll make this sauce and throw all my leftover chips, pretzels and nuts in it. It makes them better than before and uses the “bottom of the bag” snacks you’d usually never finish!
What I enjoy most about this recipe is its ability to be shared with the people you love most. The older I get, the more I realize my parents weren’t full of smoke when they gushed over a handmade gift I would craft for them as a child. There is something special about receiving a gift that is made with love, time and that person in mind. Pour a few cups of this delicious mix into a holiday gift bag and watch your family’s faces light up as they take the first bite!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3 cups corn Chex
- 3 cups rice Chex
- 2 cups wheat Chex
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 2 cups bagel chips
- 1 (9 oz.) container of Heinen’s Bridge Nut Mix
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
- 4 1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Two Brothers Sweet & Smokey seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat the oven to 250˚F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients, expect for the Two Brothers Sweet & Smokey seasoning. I like to use a large disposable lasagna tray as it makes for very easy clean up and storage.
- Melt the butter, then add the Worcestershire sauce, syrup and seasonings. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and gently toss for 5 minutes, or until all the pieces appear to be covered.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Stir the mix every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. I let mine cool for a few hours and mix it every half hour or so. Store in a Ziploc bag.
- Serve in a large festive bowl at your next holiday party and set out extra in baggies for your guests to munch on on their way home. Or, help Santa by stuffing a few in stockings for a bonus holiday treat!