The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Have a flavorful meal on the table in no time with this 20-minute, 4-ingredient Tomato Pesto Chicken, which calls for one of our favorite shortcuts – store-bought pesto.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup store-bought pesto
- Cooked pasta (I like to serve this over whole wheat orzo)
- In a 10-inch skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium heat. Season both sides of the chicken with a generous sprinkle of salt and black pepper. Once the oil “shimmers,” add the chicken and sear on one side, without moving, for two minutes. In the meantime, mix together the diced tomatoes (with juice) and pesto in a separate dish, stirring well to combine.
- Flip the chicken and add the tomato mixture to the pan, pouring evenly around the chicken. Once the sauce begins to simmer, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue simmering for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand, still covered, 3-4 minutes before serving.
- Serve over cooked pasta, alongside a simple salad.