What is Passion Fruit?
You can find the freshest passion fruit in Heinen’s Produce Department. Check out our other favorite unique items by clicking here.
- An egg-shaped tropical fruit with a thick, hard shell that is deeply wrinkled when ripe
- Contains an aromatic, jelly-like golden flesh that is sweet-tart in flavor and filled with edible seeds
- Generally eaten fresh, but can be cooked for use in sauces and fillings
- Choose fragrant, shriveled, wrinkled fruit that is rich in color
- If the skin is smooth, ripen at room temperature, turning the fruit occasionally
- Once ripe, refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to a few days or freeze for extended storage without a loss of quality
- To prepare, halve the fruit and scoop out the pulp and seeds with a spoon