The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
I’ve never met a grain bowl I didn’t like and this Tex Mex-inspired fajita bowl is no exception. Brimming with plant-based goodness like black beans, peppers, onions and brown rice, this recipe is as delicious as it is easy. The silky avocado yogurt sauce is the ultimate bowl topper that pulls it all together.
I’m seasoning the beans and the fajita vegetables with Heinen’s Organic Adobo Seasoning, the perfect all-in-one seasoning blend to add big flavor fast (without needing to wrangle multiple spice jars). I consider this Adobo blend an all-purpose Latin seasoning salt. It’s a combination of sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon peel and various spices like turmeric. Use it to season vegetables and beans, poultry, beef, pork and seafood.
Note: Because the Adobo Seasoning contains salt, you will likely not need to add additional salt to the beans and vegetables. I recommend using no-salt-added canned beans or Heinen’s Organic Black Beans, which are lower in sodium.
Adobo Black Bean Fajita Bowls with Avocado Yogurt
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- ½ large red onion, sliced
- 1 ½ tsp. Heinen’s Organic Adobo Seasoning, divided
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 14.5 oz. can Heinen’s Organic Black Beans
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ medium ripe avocado
- ½ cup plain whole milk kefir (Recommend: Wallaby Organic)
- ⅓ cup packed cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice (more to taste)
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt (more to taste)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ cup salsa
- Lime wedges
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and sauté for 10 minutes. Season with ½ tsp. Adobo seasoning and oregano; set aside.
- Drain ⅓ cup liquid from the can of black beans and discard. Transfer beans and remaining liquid from can to a small sauté pan. Stir in the remaining tsp. of Adobo seasoning and cayenne (optional). Set over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer; set aside.
- In a high-powered blender, combine avocado, kefir, cilantro, lime and salt and blend until very smooth. Season to taste with additional lime juice and salt.
- To serve, divide rice among 4 wide, shallow bowls. Top each with a serving of the peppers and onions, black beans and salsa. Top with avocado yogurt sauce and serve with a lime wedge.
Click Here to Print the Recipe for Adobo Black Bean Fajita Bowls with Avocado Yogurt.