The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
When it comes to cocktails, the classic Aperol Spritz seems to what everyone is sipping. While this fizzy adult friendly drink has gained recent popularity, it is certainly not new; in fact, it’s history dates back more than 100 years!
Created in Italy in the late 1910s as a light and refreshing aperitif for the hot and humid summer months, the classic Aperol Spritz features a combination of Aperol, Prosecco, club soda and fresh citrus.
What is Aperol, you ask? It’s an orange-colored liqueur made from bitter rhubarb, vegetal gentian root, cinchona and a slew of other fruits, flowers and plants. Together, these ingredients create a pleasantly sweet citrusy liqueur that you can find bottled in Heinen’s Wine and Beer Department, conveniently near the Prosecco!
The short ingredient list may make this cocktail sound basic, but in reality, it’s an asset. The lack of ingredients allows a classic Aperol Spritz to easily mesh with a variety of other flavor profiles such as grapefruit, berry, pear and apple!
In the spirit of Fall, this recipe uses fresh apple cider from Heinen’s Produce Department, which happens to be produced by Patterson Fruit Farm in Cleveland. If this apple cider is in season and available to you, it will add undeniable freshness to the finished drink. If not, any apple cider will do!
While you’re grabbing the Aperol from Heinen’s wine Department, grab a bottle of Prosecco too! Heinen’s has a wide variety of options at all different price points, so you don’t have to break the bank to drink fancy cocktails at home.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- While apple cider is available in Heinen’s Produce Department year-round, nothing beats the crisp and refreshing flavor of their local apple cider during apple season! When added to this cocktail, it’s like fall in a glass!
- You don’t have to spend a fortune! Making craft cocktails at home can be just as pricy as ordering from a bar or restaurant! When it comes to Prosecco, Heinen’s offers a wide variety of high-quality options at different price points, so you don’t have to break the bank.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Cocktail
- 1 ½ oz. Aperol
- 2 oz. Patterson’s apple cider
- 3 oz. Prosecco
- A splash of citrus Fresca or citrus club soda (combine with club soda with a little orange juice)
- Sliced Honeycrisp apples, for garnish
- Fresh sage
- Fill a glass ¾ of the way with ice.
- Add the Aperol, apple cider and Prosecco to a shaker but do not shake it. Stir gently.
- Slowly pour the drink over the ice and top with a splash of the citrus club soda.
- Garnish with apple slices and sage leaves.