he following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
Crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, these Baked Broccoli Tater Tots are a nutritious spin on the beloved “poppable” potato!
What makes them so nutritious, you ask? While a traditional tater tot uses only potatoes, this recipe combines potatoes with a bag of Heinen’s steamed broccoli, which adds a good dose of vitamin C and calcium while also contributing unique color and fresh flavor to the finished tots.
Prepped quickly and easily served as a side for breakfast, lunch or dinner, keep a bag of frozen broccoli in your freezer at all times for when you need something guilt-free and crowd-pleasing to serve alongside your favorite meals.
Why We Love this Recipe
- It uses Heinen’s frozen broccoli. Heinen’s frozen fruits and vegetables are frozen at peak ripeness to preserve as much nutrition as possible, making them a cost-effective way to reap all the health and flavor benefits of fresh produce.
- The broccoli is steamed instead of boiled. Steaming the broccoli allows for the perfect tender bite without sacrificing nutrient density.
- This recipe is a great way to sneak veggies into a meal! The broccoli only slightly affects the color and flavor of these tots, so they’re picky-eater-approved!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1-16 oz. bag Heinen's frozen organic broccoli florets
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot flour or cornstarch
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s garlic powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- A dash of black pepper
- Heinen’s extra virgin olive oil, for baking
- Heinen’s ketchup, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add the potatoes to a pot and cover with cold water. Bring it to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let cool.
- Peel the potatoes and shred them in a food processor using the shredding blade. Change the blade to the regular blade and pulse a few times until the potatoes are in long shreds. You can alternatively shred with a box grater and roughly chop with a knife. Set aside.
- Steam the broccoli until it turns bright green, about 5-10 minutes. Let cool and transfer to a clean food processor. Pulse until the broccoli turns into rice-size pieces. Wrap the broccoli pieces in a kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded potatoes, broccoli, arrowroot flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Scoop about 1 Tbsp. of the mixture and roll it into a small cylinder. Place it on to the prepared sheet pan and repeat until all of the mixture has been used.
- Generously brush the olive oil all over the tots. Bake until browned, about 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Serve with ketchup, if desired.