The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
Celebrate local produce season with a deliciously light summer salad that swaps traditional lettuce greens for fresh squash!
As you could probably guess, the key to this salad is super fresh squash, which I always buy from Heinen’s, especially during the warm weather season, because by the peak of summer, over 70% of Heinen’s produce is sourced from Midwest farms who work alongside Heinen’s produce experts to grow fresh fruits and vegetables that meet Heinen’s strict quality standards. At Heinen’s, quality equates to nothing less than exceptional, so I always know I am buying the best.
For this recipe, I reached for Heinen’s fresh assortment of zucchini and yellow squash. Shaved thin and served raw, this salad offers a refreshing new way to use this seasonal staple outside of slicing it into rounds or planks for the grill.
Finished with a delicious lemon Dijon vinaigrette using Heinen’s Dijon mustard and topped with crumbled feta cheese, make this salad your go-to appetizer or side dish this summer!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's honey
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, shaved into ribbons
- 2 medium yellow squash, shaved into ribbons
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- Combine the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk until combined and set aside.
- Combine the sliced zucchini, yellow squash and red onion in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing on the salad and gently toss.
- Top with crumbled feta, fresh basil and fresh mint.