The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
August is peak produce season and Heinen’s carries an abundance of seasonal items, like eggplant!
The perfect vegetable to roll and stuff, this couscous filled eggplant roll can be served either warm or chilled, making it an excellent choice for appetizers or side dishes. Serve this dish alongside a creamy Italian dipping sauce that adds a hint of lemon and fresh herbs.
For a complete and satisfying meal, accompany them with grilled Heinen’s Lemon Marinated Chicken Breast and a crusty loaf of freshly baked Mediterra bread.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Each summer, Heinen’s transforms its produce departments into a daily “farmers-market,” featuring the best-of-the-best local produce. The eggplant used in this recipe is locally grown, ensuring optimal freshness and supporting the Ohio farming community.
- These herby couscous stuffed eggplant rolls are versatile and can be used as a delicious appetizer or a hearty vegetarian entrée.
- Don’t skip out on the creamy dipping sauce – it’s the perfect complement to the dish!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the eggplant:
- 2 eggplants, thinly sliced in 1/4 in slices
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bag Heinen’s frozen riced cauliflower, cooked
- 1 package Near East couscous, cooked
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup Heinen’s pine nuts, plus more for serving
For the Creamy Italian Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s dried basil
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Heat a grill or large pan to medium heat.
- Brush eggplant slices with 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill or sear for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown and tender. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil and 2 cloves minced garlic to the skillet. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add Heinen’s frozen riced cauliflower, Couscous, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, ¼ cup parsley, ¼ cup mint, ¼ cup thyme, and ¼ cup pine nuts. Sauté for 5 minutes, then set aside.
- Make the dipping sauce. Combine ½ cup Greek yogurt, ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. Heinen’s dried basil, 1 tsp. Heinen’s Italian seasoning, 1 tsp. Heinen’s garlic powder, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. black pepper. Stir well, then set aside.
- Assemble the rolls by adding 2 spoonsful of filling mixture to the wide end of an eggplant slice and gently roll up. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices.
- Top with additional pine nuts and mint. Serve with dipping sauce.