The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
The best way to end a winter day is with a steaming bowl of this Beef and Barley Soup!
You’ve likely seen this soup in cans on grocery store shelves, and while it’s certainly convenient, nothing compares to the flavors that result when the ingredients have a chance to simmer together on the stove.
If you like beef stew or pot roast, you’ll love this lighter, brothier beefy bowl that features tender chunks of Heinen’s CARE Certified stew meat, an assortment of fresh veggies and nutrient dense barley.
Assembled quickly in one pot, each spoonful is hearty and soul warming.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 lbs. Heinen’s CARE Certified beef stew meat, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and medium diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 celery ribs, medium diced
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and medium diced
- ½ cup red wine
- 3 Tbsp. Heinen’s tomato paste
- 12 cups Heinen’s beef stock
- 1 cup barley, rinsed
- 15 oz. can Heinen’s petite diced tomatoes
- 1 russet potato, peeled and large diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil to a large pot over high heat and heat until it begins to smoke.
- Add the beef and cook for 3-4 minutes before stirring. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- Return the pot to the burner over medium heat with the remaining 2 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Pour in the onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Add the celery, carrots and parsnip and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Deglaze with the red wine and cook until it is almost gone.
- Stir in the tomato paste until it is completely combined.
- Add the cooked beef back to the pot along with the barley and tomatoes. Cook over a low boil for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes of cooking at a low boil, add the potato and continue cooking.
- Finish with parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Serve.