- Total time:
The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Sometimes you feel like a bun, sometimes you don’t.
I like to think of these burger bowls as a deconstructed classic hamburger. We’re ditching the bun in favor of crunchy croutons, doubling down on the fresh toppings and replacing the ketchup with a bold sun-dried tomato vinaigrette. This is a great way to enjoy an old favorite in a new way while celebrating summer’s freshest produce.
This bowl showcases a delicious turkey burger, but your favorite beef or veggie burger will work, too. Adding minced onion and Worcestershire sauce to the ground turkey keeps it from drying out and the basil adds freshness and flavor. Whether you decide to cook these on an outdoor grill or an indoor grill pan, be sure to grease the grate or pan well because turkey burgers are lean and have a tendency to stick.
Burger Bowl with Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
For the Burgers
- 1 lb. ground turkey (93/7)
- 2 Tbsp. onion, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. basil, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
For the Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained (reserve 2 Tbsp. oil from jar)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. water
For the Salad
- Mixed leaf lettuce
- Baby bell peppers, sliced
- Grape tomatoes
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Sliced avocado
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat, about 350-400˚F.
- To make the burgers, combine the ground turkey, onion, basil, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix well, then shape into 4 burger patties.
- On well-greased grates, grill the turkey burgers for about 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown on the outside and the internal cooking temperature reaches 165˚F.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients (sun-dried tomatoes through water, including the 2 Tbsp. of oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes) in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a jar.
- To serve, assemble the lettuce, bell peppers, grape tomatoes, red onion, avocado and croutons in salad bowls. Top each with a grilled turkey burger, vinaigrette and crumbled feta cheese.