The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
Fall is all about color, leaves change from green to red, yellow and deep orange and your food can be just as colorful. My Chicken Burrito Skillet is a dish full of color and is a great way to use up late summer and early fall veggies. This dish uses tri-colored peppers, roasted sweet corn, green chilies (or Hatch Chilies if you have them) and red onion, but the part that makes this recipe so indulgent is that it is packed with chicken and cheese. It’s the perfect meal to transition into the cooler months.
Chicken burritos are one of go-to items to order when we’re out to eat at our favorite local Mexican restaurant, and for good reason! Who wouldn’t love the combination of salsa, shredded chicken, rice, beans, and cheese. However, afterwards, these meals can leave you feeling a bit bloated and over-stuffed…just like that burrito. That’s why I love this recipe! It’s is gluten-free, low-carb, packed with protein and absolutely delicious.
Serve it with your favorite toppings and fresh veggies for a filling and flavorful meal that absolutely everyone will love. It comes together in minutes and you can serve in a fun way with my make-your-own taco bowls. You can even grab a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken or pre-packaged shredded white meat chicken from your local Heinen’s to save even more time.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 green onion stalks, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 packet of Ortega taco seasoning
- 1 bag of Heinen’s frozen sweet corn
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 4 oz. can of green chilies, or 2 diced Hatch Chilies
- 6-7 small sweet peppers, 2 red, 2 yellow and 2 orange
- 1 cup of your favorite red salsa
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups shredded Chihuahua cheese
- 3-4 large flour tortillas
- Avocado cooking spray
- Cilantro and lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Heat butter in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted and hot, add frozen sweet corn. Add the ground oregano and chili powder. Stir the corn once to coat with the spices and butter and allow to sit for 3-4 minutes. This will char the bottoms of the corn and allow it to start to caramelize.
- After 3-4 minutes, give it a good stir and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, peppers, green chilies, diced onions and taco seasoning. Mix until well combined.
- Add the shredded chicken, salsa and tomato paste to the skillet and mix well. Turn the heat down low and continue cooking while you make the tortilla bowls.
- Line baking sheet with foil and set out 6 same-size oven-safe ceramic bowls. Turn 3 of the bowls upside down. Spray the bottom of each upside down bowl and the inside of the other 3 bowls with avocado spray.
- Place one tortilla over the bottom of one of the upside down bowls and place another bowl on top of the tortilla, pressing down slightly, so that the tortilla is tucked in between two bowls. Repeat with remaining bowls and tortillas.
- Place in the preheated oven on the middle rack and bake for 10-12 minutes, taking the top bowl off halfway through the cooking time. Once the tortillas are golden brown, remove them from the oven and set aside.
- Top the chicken burrito mixture with the cheese, saving ½ cup to top the bowls at the end. Place the skillet into the hot oven and bake for 12 minutes until the cheese is melted and gooey.
- Spoon the chicken burrito mixture into the premade taco tortilla bowls.
- Top with fresh cilantro and more salsa and enjoy.
Pro Tip: Break apart the sides of the tortilla bowl and dip it into the chicken burrito mixture just like those delicious fall soup bread bowls we all love so much.