Recipe and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
This Chicken with Artichokes and Roasted Pepper Relish recipe is the perfect light Mediterranean-style meal for any day of the week.
I’m always looking to change things up and get something fun, interesting and relatively healthy on the table for my family. This recipe is delicious and the relish on top is to die for!
How to Cook the Chicken
When it comes to using chicken, I’m a big fan of breaking down a whole chicken because you can use the carcasses to make stock. My suggestion to you is to use what you have, whether it’s just thighs, just drums, just breasts or a mix of each. The important part is to make this recipe work for you.
I like to dust the chicken with flour before frying because I believe it helps make a thick coating into the relish and makes it saucy. Since I used thin cut chicken breasts, they cook up very quickly in a pan with oil. There’s no need to finish them in the oven when they are this thin. Once they are cooked, set them to the side.
How to Make the Relish
The artichoke and pepper relish that goes on this chicken would honestly be good on anything. I would put it on pork, fish, steak or even in a pasta it’s that good. The rich flavors, when cooked together, are so tasty. It’s the perfect complement to the cooked chicken breasts.
If you’re nervous about using artichokes, don’t worry, they are incredibly easy to work with. They have a savory mild flavor that can go well with so many different foods. They are most often sold in cans or jars and are kept whole, halved or cut into quarters.
You can also choose to purchase fresh artichokes and use them, but as a fair warning, they are difficult to work with and can be messy. If this is your first time cooking with them, I recommend using canned or jarred.
Once the chicken breasts are done, drain off some of the oil and add the peppers to sauté and brown over high heat. This will really bring out a lot of flavor. You can also add onions and garlic if you like. After they are lightly browned, add in everything else and season and finish with a hint of butter or more olive oil.
I finished the dish by garnishing with fresh basil leaves, but you could also add on parsley or oregano.
If you are looking for an easy-to-make dish that is packed with flavor, then this is the one for you!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half widthwise
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ red and green bell peppers, seeded and julienned
- 10 sundried tomatoes, julienned
- 1 cup of quartered jarred/canned artichokes
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the flour, salt and pepper to a bowl and mix until combined.
- Coat the sliced chicken breasts on each side with flour and cook in a large frying pan over medium heat with 4 Tbsp. of olive oil until browned and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Set the chicken aside and drain off ½ of the oil.
- Add the peppers to the pan and cook on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add in the sundried tomatoes, artichokes and capers and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Finish by stirring in butter and adjusting the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Serve the relish over the chicken and add optional basil garnish over top.