The following recipe and photography was provided by our partners, The Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.
In some regions of the U.S., topping apple pie with cheddar cheese is as popular as serving it with ice cream. This rustic holiday tart celebrates tradition with our special Henning’s Cheddar.
Cinnamon Apple Pie Cheddar Galette
- 1 refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 medium tart apples, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 Tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice
- 6 oz. (1 1/2 cups) Henning's Cheddar Cheese, shredded and divided
- 4 oz. (1/2 package) plain cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and divided
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Roll pastry into an 11-inch circle on a lightly-floured surface. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Place apples in a medium bowl. Combine the 2 Tbsp. sugar, cornstarch and apple pie spice in a small bowl and sprinkle on apples and toss lightly. Set aside.
- Beat the 1 cup cheddar, cream cheese, egg yolk and 4 Tbsp. sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread cheddar mixture in the center of pastry leaving about 2 inches of the edge exposed.
- Spoon half of the reserved apple slices in a single layer over filling.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and 1/4 cup cranberries.
- Top with the remaining apple slices and cranberries.
- Fold pastry edges up over filling. (Center will be uncovered.)
- Lightly beat egg white and brush over pastry. Sprinkle pastry and filling with remaining sugar. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.