The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Get excited, because there is a new item in Heinen’s Meat Department that is going to make all of your sandwich and stir fry dreams come true!
It’s their new shaved sirloin steak, which is made from Heinen’s fan-favorite CARE Certified beef. Razor thin and oh-so tender, it cooks very quickly, making it the ideal protein for easy weeknight meals, like a Classic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich.
You won’t believe how flavorful and satisfying this sandwich is, or how simple it is to prepare. Using a handful of high-quality fresh ingredients makes all the difference. In addition to shaved steak, be sure to pick up some fresh steak rolls from Heinen’s Bakery!
Why We Love Heinen’s Shaved Sirloin Steak
- It is shaved and packaged by Heinen’s at their state-of-the art manufacturing facility in Warrensville Heights, Ohio, so you know that each piece is handled with care.
- It comes in freezer friendly airtight packaging, which allows for long-lasting freshness.
- It is perfect for the Blackstone or any flat top grill. Gone are the days of trying to thin slice beef yourself. Simply open the package, season as desired and cook away. If you do not have a Blackstone or flat top grill, a skillet or heavy pan works just as well.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Heinen’s avocado oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ¾ - 1 lb. Heinen’s CARE Certified shaved sirloin steak
- 4-6 slices Heinen’s provolone cheese
- 4 Heinen’s steak or hoagie rolls, center split and lightly toasted
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and bell pepper. Sauté for 10-15 minutes, stirring often, or until soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from the pan.
- Season the shaved sirloin steak with salt and pepper. Add the remaining ½ Tbsp. oil to the pan followed by the steak. Spread the steak out in the pan and allow it to sear for 1-2 minutes. Stir and continue to sauté 1-2 minutes more, or until cooked to your liking.
- Return the onions and peppers to the pan and toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Top with the sliced provolone and cover for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Use a spatula or tongs to transfer to toasted buns.
- Serve immediately or wrap in parchment or foil to keep warm.