The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Alissa DiSanto of Sauced By Sunday.
Ravioli is delicious with sauce, but have you tried it in soup? If not, this 30-minute, weeknight friendly dish is a must-make on a chilly night.
Swimming with fresh Italian sausage, a bounty of veggies and a slew of spices, the real star of this soup is Heinen’s fresh four cheese ravioli. Located in the refrigerated deli case, the cheesy inner filling adds rich heartiness to the tomato-based, cream-infused broth.
If you love noodles in your soup, this new spin will have you coming back for another bowl.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced into coins
- 1 lb. Heinen’s CARE Certified ground Italian sausage
- Salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 28 oz. can Heinen’s crushed tomatoes
- 1 qt. (4 cups) Heinen’s chicken stock
- 20 oz. Heinen’s fresh four cheese ravioli
- 6 cups Heinen’s baby spinach
- 2 cups half & half
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Stir in the sausage and break it into small bits. Cook until browned, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, dried basil and oregano. Cook for 2 more minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the ravioli and cook for 2 minutes. Fresh ravioli cooks very fast and will continue to cook as they sit in the broth, so keep an eye on them.
- Stir in the baby spinach and cook until the just wilted, approximately 2 minutes.
- Stir in the half & half and return to a simmer. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Divide amongst six bowls, garnish with extra parmesan cheese and serve with fresh bread from Heinen’s Bakery to dunk in the flavorful broth!