The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
- 1 lb lean Ground Sirloin
- 3/4 cup Red Onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Green Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce, no sugar added
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1-2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 Ground Cinnamon
- Salt and Pepper
- Whole Grain Hamburger Buns
- In a large skillet, brown meat over medium heat, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add onion, bell peppers and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine tomato sauce through cinnamon and mix well. Stir into beef mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve on buns.
Meal Prep Tips:
- This meal comes together in 20 minutes when you prep the ingredients in advance. Chop the onions, peppers, garlic and prepare the sauce up to 3 days ahead of when you plan to cook.
- To serve, keep things simple by pairing this with steamed broccoli, green beans or a salad. Roasted sweet potato fries would partner well, too!