This recipe and photos were provided by Sally Roeckell of Table and Dish and were originally published at 365Barrington.com.
Flat Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Garlic
- 2 pounds whole chicken
- 4 bulbs of garlic, halved horizontally
- 3 lemons, sliced into half inch rounds.
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Rinse the chicken, remove internal organs, set aside in a sauce pan and pat chicken dry.
- Place the chicken, breast-side down, on a board so the back is facing up and the drumsticks are pointing towards you.
- Using sharp kitchen scissors or chicken shears, cut closely along each side of the backbone.
- Remove and discard the backbone or save with internal organs for stock.
- Turn the chicken, breast-side up, and press down firmly on the breastbone to flatten the chicken.
- Arrange the garlic and lemon on an oven tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Top with the chicken, breast-side up, tucking in the wing tips.
- Brush the chicken with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35–40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Internal temperature with a thermometer should read 165°F.