The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
This Tex-Mex-themed pizza is topped with everything you’d stuff into a crunchy shell, plus creamy goat cheese for an unexpected flavor combo that is seriously sure to surprise and delight! I liken the goat cheese on this pizza to that dollop of sour cream we love atop tacos. It’s tangy and rich and balances out the spice of the seasoned beef for the perfect bite. Heinen’s crumbled goat cheese is recommended for this recipe because it’s easy to sprinkle evenly over the crust.
Instead of pizza sauce, the crust is topped with Heinen’s organic garlic salsa for another layer of southwestern flavor. To cut down on prep time, I love Papa Sal’s premade pizza dough (look for it in the Prepared Foods section), but feel free to use homemade dough or Heinen’s frozen cauliflower crust instead.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Papa Sal’s pizza dough (or homemade), plus flour for dusting
- 1 lb. Heinen’s CARE Certified 90% lean ground beef
- 1 oz. taco seasoning packet
- ½ cup Heinen’s organic garlic salsa, plus more to serve
- Generous 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Generous ½ cup Heinen’s crumbled goat cheese
- Diced tomato
- Sliced green onion
- Diced avocado
- Finely chopped cilantro
- Remove the dough from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Grease a 12×17-inch sheet pan.
- Brown the beef in a nonstick skillet until cooked through. Season with the taco seasoning (don’t add water) and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a large rectangle or oval and place on the sheet pan. Crimp the edges, if desired. Bake for 5 minutes, then spoon on the salsa to within 1-inch of the edge.
- Top with mozzarella, cooked beef (all or as much as you prefer) and goat cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes more, or until the crust is lightly golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Finish with tomatoes, green onions, avocado and cilantro. Serve with extra salsa.