Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Stuffed peppers are commonly known as a cold weather, belling-warming meal, but with a virtually never-ending selection of fresh summer produce at Heinen’s, I couldn’t help myself from turning this comfort food classic into a summer-inspired dish.
Filled with a light grain and veggie mixture, these stuffed red bell peppers are a fresh and vibrant family-friendly meal that comes together without any hassle.
Grain and Veggie Stuffed Peppers
- 1 package of Heinen’s cooked brown rice
- ½ yellow squash, medium diced
- ½ green zucchini, medium diced
- ½ cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and small diced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh basil, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded, stemmed and cut in half
- 1 24 oz. jar of Heinen’s marinara sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-size bowl, gently mix together the rice, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, ½ cup of feta cheese, 2 Tbsp. chopped basil, olive oil, salt and pepper until completely combined.
- Evenly stuff each of the halved peppers with the grain and veggie stuffing until full and all of the stuffing has been used. Set aside.
- Pour the marinara sauce in a 13×9 casserole dish or a large 12” cast iron skillet.
- Place the peppers evenly in the dish or skillet and sprinkle with additional feta cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with more chopped, fresh basil and serve.