The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Take your favorite Mediterranean-inspired ingredients and pair them with ground lamb for a delicious spin on traditional tacos!
Cooked in rich, warm spices that pair beautifully with cool, creamy tzatziki sauce, build this taco in a pita to create most incredible combination of flavors and textures. Taco night will never be the same!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. ground lamb, cooked and drained
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 of a sweet or red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. clove
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heinen's pita bread
- 1 cup tzatziki sauce, store-bought or homemade
- Feta cheese, for garnish
- Pine nuts (optional)
For the Greek-Style Topping
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
For the Lamb
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add the ground lamb and turn to medium heat.
- Use a wooden spoon to break apart the ground lamb and let it begin to cook.
- Add the paprika, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, allspice, clove and cayenne pepper to the lamb and continue to cook until the lamb is cooked through and no pink is left.
- Remove from the stove and drain the excess fat.
For the Tacos
- On a large cutting board, lay out the pita bread.
- Spread an even layer of tzatziki on each pita. Layer on the lamb, feta cheese and top with the Greek topping. Add pine nuts, if desired.
- Serve with a side of tzatziki sauce.