The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
This Grilled Chicken Greek Salad is light, fresh and perfect for a warm weather get-together.
This salad combines lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, olives and feta with fresh herbs and a light dressing.
The tender, juicy Greek marinated chicken thighs are the perfect protein to give this refreshing salad a little heartiness.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Salad
- 1.5 - 2 lbs. Gerber CARE Certified chicken thighs
- 5 oz. romaine lettuce
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 2 bell pepper, seeds removed, sliced (green and red)
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 5 oz. feta in brine, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
For the Marinade
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen’s thyme
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s paprika
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen’s cayenne red pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
For the Dressing
- 1 lemon, juiced, about 2 Tbsp.
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Heinen's dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the fat from the chicken as necessary. Add the chicken to a large Ziploc bag or a large container.
- In a small mixing bowl ,combine the olive oil, lemon, garlic cloves, oregano, thyme, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and massage the marinade into the meat until the meat is coated with the marinade.
- Refrigerate for two hours.
- After marinating, allow the chicken to sit, covered in the bag or container of marinade for 15-20 minutes while the grill preheats.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Brush the grill grates with oil.
- Remove the chicken from marinade. Discard marinade.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 5 minutes per side, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for two minutes. Slice the chicken.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the lemon, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar and oregano. Whisk to combine. Add the salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Arrange the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, olives, feta, dill and parsley on a large platter.
- Add the grilled chicken to the platter.
- Serve the salad with the dressing on the side and let your guests create their own Greek salad bowl.