The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
I’ve got a bone to pick with everyone! Why are people not making their own wings!? Give me just one chance and I promise, these will be some of the best wings you have ever encountered.
Think of me as your wing man on this grilling adventure! We are skipping the deep fryer and smoking these bad boys on the grill. We will finish them over the hot coals for crispy skin and then drench them in a dreamy garlic Parmesan herb butter. You can’t say no to that.
This recipe is ideal for nights when your house feels like a three wing circus and you need something simple and delicious to keep everyone satisfied (and quiet for 5 minutes). It also gets you out of the house for a few minutes of quiet time, which is priceless, trust me, I know. All you need is chicken and I can guarantee you already have everything else in your pantry.
Let’s get this chicken dance started!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 lbs. of chicken wings
- 7 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 stick of butter
- 3/4 Tbsp. fresh pepper
- 3/4 Tbsp. salt
- 1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- Vegetable sticks
- Ranch and blue cheese dressing, for serving
- Mix pepper, salt, garlic powder and garlic salt. Place the wings in a large bowl, season and then put them in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Prepare your charcoal. For this method, place all of the charcoal in a pile in the center of the grill. This will allow you to create a ring wing (patent pending on the phrase) so all the wings cook evenly. You can add a wood chunk directly over the hot charcoal for an added kiss of smoky flavor. I used fresh oak wood.
- Remove wings from the fridge a half hour before placing them on the grill. When the grill has reached a temperature of 400-425˚F, place the wings on the outer edge of the grill. Cover and cook for 40 minutes.
- While the wings are in the smoking section, prep the sauce! Melt the butter over low heat. Once melted add the garlic, chili flakes and parsley. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add in 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese so that it melts into the butter. Stir and keep over low heat until serving.
- After 40 minutes, check the wings. Once they reach an internal temperature of 195-200˚F, it’s time to crisp up that skin.
- Place the wings directly over the center of the grill, above the hot coals. Grill for 1 minute a side and remove from the grill.
- Allow the wings to rest in a large bowl. Pour the Parmesan butter over the wings and toss. Once coated, add the remaining cheese and toss again.
- Serve with vegetable sticks and your choice of ranch or blue cheese dressing
*Note: I love making these wings on a charcoal grill, the flavor is next level! You can make these on a gas grill or in the oven as well, but I won’t encourage that!