The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Orzo is often overlooked. Like a lot. This has to stop now! It’s so refreshing to use as a salad base because it works with vinaigrettes and sauces. I’ve made orzo pasta salad a few times, but not like this!
Salmon is certainly the show stopper of this dish. If you can manage it, try to use organic Atlantic salmon. I usually buy regular, but the difference is an eyeopener. The use of good stone fruit is the runner up and a perfect complement to the fish. Mango also has its moments and the grill marks to prove it!
The glaze is the best part of the salmon. It’s light, vibrant and packs a little heat with red pepper flakes. The fresh-squeezed orange juice is so delightful with a bit of ginger, garlic and honey. Prep your taste buds and dig in below.
Grilled Mango Orzo Salad with Orange Ginger Salmon
- 2 salmon filets
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup Heinen’s fresh-squeezed orange juice, squeezed
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 1/2 cup cooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 2 ears corn, husks removed
- 1 medium zucchini, halved
- 1 large mango, pitted and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Set oven to 450°F.
- Mix the olive oil, red pepper flakes, orange juice, honey, ginger, garlic salt and pepper together for basting the salmon.
- Place salmon filets on a foil-lined baking tray and use half of the basting sauce to coat the salmon. Set aside.
- Use the same basting liquid to lightly coat the zucchini slices, mango and corn. Grill on medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side. You want those grill marks! (I use my grill top plate for my stove for grilling things like this, but you can use a regular grill pan or even do it outside if you want.)
- While the vegetables and mango are grilling, boil water for the orzo pasta. Boil the orzo for about 15 minutes or until cooked fully. Remove from heat and drain, then coat in olive oil so they don’t dry out and become sticky. You can keep the orzo in the pot so all of the ingredients can be mixed in afterwards.
- When your oven is ready, put salmon in for 15 minutes. Once fully cooked, cut into chunks with a fork or sharp knife and set aside to toss in orzo. Remember to remove the skins after you bake the salmon.
- After vegetables and mango are nicely seared, remove them from grill and chop them up. You can cut the corn off of the ears by holding them vertically and sliding the knife carefully down each side.
- Mix grilled vegetables, salmon chunks, feta, tomatoes, basil, arugula, mango and pomegranate seeds in with the orzo.
- Pour whatever orange ginger honey sauce is left from basting over top to coat the entire salad.
Click Here to Print the Recipe for Grilled Mango Orzo Salad with Orange Ginger Salmon.