Recipe and photography provided by Heinen’s contributor, Courtney Holsworth of A Life From Scratch.
I am very excited to share one of my family’s favorite delicious and simple summer dinners: Skirt Steak with Smashed Potatoes and Homemade Chimichurri. I first served this for my family on Father’s Day and I knew it was a hit when they were still talking about it three days later.
The best part about this recipe is that the potatoes and chimichurri can be prepped in advance if you have the time. If not, don’t worry, it comes together easily at dinnertime, too.
The centerpiece of this meal is a grilled skirt steak. If you have not already tried Heinen’s skirt steak, I highly suggest you visit their Meat Department because it is one of my favorite things Heinen’s offers. Today, I chose one of their pre-marinated varieties to make the meal even easier.
Let’s get cooking!
Skirt Steak With Smashed Potatoes and Chimichurri
For the Steak and Potatoes
- Skirt steak (Amount will depend on how many people you are serving.)
- Baby Yukon Gold potatoes
- Olive oil
- Parmesan, to sprinkle on top of potatoes
- Greens, for serving (optional)
For the Chimichurri
- 1 cup parsley
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 5 cloves garlic
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat. Grill the skirt steak for 4 minutes per side. Let rest before cutting.
- Parboil potatoes by boiling a pot of water on the stove. Add salt and reduce the heat to a strong simmer. Add the potatoes for about 15 minutes. This step can be done in advance if you have time.
- Line parboiled potatoes on a baking tray and smash them down using the bottom of a coffee mug. Rub each potato carefully with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 400˚F for 20-25 minutes until the edges are crispy. Top with grated Parmesan.
- To make the chimichurri, simply blend all of the ingredients together.
- To serve, place steak on a plate with potatoes. Add in a few greens if you wish and drizzle the homemade chimichurri sauce on top.
Click Here to Print the Recipe for Skirt Steak with Smashed Potatoes and Chimichurri.