Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Drink your beer and eat it too with this Irish-inspired savory pie!
Made with our flavorful beef sirloin, loads of fresh veggies and a bottle of the infamous Guinness beer, this simple, hearty supper is made for your St. Patrick’s Day table!
Guinness Beef Pie
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs. CARE Certified beef sirloin, cubed
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and small diced
- 2 stalks of celery, small diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and small diced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 parsnip, peeled and small diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Guinness beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley, finely minced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, finely minced
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 whisked egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil to a cast iron skillet over high heat and sear the cubed beef until lightly browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- Return the pan to the burner and add the remaining 2 Tbsp. of olive oil. Sauté the onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, parsnips and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the flour until combined and then add the Guinness, beef stock and cooked, cubed beef. Cook over medium heat until the sauce becomes very thick, about 3-4 minutes.
- Finish by stirring in the parsley, thyme, salt and pepper until combined.
- Remove the pan from the burner and place the puff pastry sheet over top. Trim around the pan and discard excess puff pastry.
- Brush the top off the puff pastry with the whisked egg and bake at 375°F for 18-20 minutes or until browned and cooked. Note: there will be plenty of whisked egg left over.