The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Melissa’s Produce.
Tortilla soup is traditionally zesty, but the addition of fresh Hatch Chiles takes the flavor and spice to a new level. With soup season just around the corner, you’ll want to add this delicious dish to your recipe repertoire.
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 carrots, ends trimmed, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, ends trimmed, chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1 cup red chile sauce
- 1 28 oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 2 green hatch chile peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced
- 8 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 3 oz. package dry roasted sweet corn
- 2 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1 lime
- Shredded cheese, for garnish
- Ripe avocado, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and caramelize the onion.
- Add the garlic, carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir in the chile sauce.
- Add the tomatoes followed by the hatch chiles, bell pepper, chicken stock, corn, oregano, cumin, chili powder and sherry. Gently stir and bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the juice from the lime.
- To serve, ladle the soup into separate bowls and garnish with fresh fried tortilla strips (optional), cheese and avocado.