Recipe and photography provided by Heinen’s contributor, Courtney Holsworth of A Life From Scratch.
This steak and salad is a great “last gasp of summer,” “fire up that grill” kind of recipe. It’s also a very simple, yet special, dish if you’re doing date night at home.
This recipe is actually my homemade version of a steak and salad dish that my husband and I always get when we visit Coco Pazzo, our favorite restaurant in Downtown Chicago.
It appears extremely elegant and involved, but comes together with only 5 ingredients. Let’s get cooking!
- 1 fillet, trimmed
- 1 New York strip steak
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Package of arugula
- A few lemons
- Shaved Parmesan
- Before cooking, rub the steaks with olive oil and bring to room temperature for about 30-40 minutes. Two minutes before cooking, rub the steaks with sea salt.
- Fire up the grill to high heat. Cook the steaks until desired doneness is reached. We like about 5-6 minutes per side. Once cooked, allow steaks to rest before cutting.
- Set the arugula out on the counter and bring to room temperature. This may seems silly, but the olive oil are more easily incorporated when the arugula isn’t cold.
- Dress the arugula with a generous amount of olive oil and lemon juice and give it a little massage with your hands. Top with plenty of shaved Parmesan.
- Thinly slice the steak and place on plates. Serve with plenty of salad. Enjoy!