The following recipe and photography were created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry. Photo stylization inspired by Delish.com.
Recent extended shelter in place orders also have us cooking in place. With many of us taking up the new hobby of cooking at home, it’s key to make quarantine meals as simple as possible.
While takeout may be an easy way out of making dinner, homemade versions of your favorite fast foods are actually extremely easy and much healthier. We wrapped up our week with a spin on the well known takeout Taco Bell Crunch Wrap Supreme, which were supremely delicious.
If you are looking to crunch the competition, follow the few easy steps below for your own Homemade Crunch Wrap Supreme.
Homemade Crunch Wrap Supreme
- 1 lb. of 90% lean ground beef (chicken or turkey works if you have that on hand)
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 8 small corn or flour tortillas or tostadas
- Cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp. refried beans
- ½ cup cheese wiz spread
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream if you have that on hand
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped (or canned tomatoes)
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped (or white onion)
- 2 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack or Monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup Colby jack or shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Salsa, lime wedges and cilantro, for toppings
Note: If you have a taco seasoning packet on hand you can use that instead of the spices listed above
- If you can’t find flat hard taco shells or tostadas, preheat your oven to 400°F and spray 4 small corn or flour tortillas with cooking spray before placing them on your middle oven rack. Bake for 5-7 minutes until crisp. Remove and set them aside.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until you hear a popping sound, which indicates your oil is now hot. Plop your beef, chicken, or ground turkey in the hot oil and brown for 5 minutes before adding all of your spices or taco seasoning packet.
- Mix well, and continue cooking for another 5 minutes while stirring frequently to break up the ground meat so it resembles minced meat. Total cook time should be around 10 minutes for the ground meat to cook.
- Take a large flour tortilla and spread 1 Tbsp. of refried beans in the middle. Then place 4 Tbsp. of the seasoned ground meat on top of the refried beans in the center of the tortilla. Next, drizzle 1 Tbsp. of cheese wiz on top of the ground meat.
- Take one of your crisp smaller tortillas or tostada and spread 1 Tbsp. of Greek yogurt or sour cream over the top.
- Place the tortilla on top of the ground meat in the center of the large tortilla, we are creating all of those layers of the crunch wrap by doing this.
- On top of the small tortilla with Greek yogurt layer your shredded lettuce, tomatoes, red onion and a couple Tbsp. of Monterey and Colby jack cheese. Then place another small (unbaked) flour or corn tortilla on top and fold over the sides of the large tortilla.
As you’re folding the sides of the large tortilla over top of the top small flour tortilla to seal the crunch wrap, make sure to fold over the sides on top of each other and if needed, you can secure them with tooth picks to make sure they don’t break open while you cook them in your skillet.
- Clean out the skillet you used to cook your ground meat and spray it with cooking spray. The cooking spray will help to crisp and seal the folds of your crunch wrap. Place the crunch wrap fold-side-down in your hot skillet and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side.
Click Here to Print the Recipe for a Homemade Crunch Wrap Supreme.