The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
Smothered in gravy, drizzled with honey or smeared with jelly, there are countless ways to top a biscuit, but have you ever tried stuffing one?
These buttermilk biscuit-based buns look like a cross between a sloppy joe and a burger, but instead of a beefy filling, each fluffy bun is bursting from the inside out with a saucy, warmly spiced ground chicken filling!
Prepped in 15 minutes using store-bought biscuit dough and a handful of fresh ingredients from Heinen’s, like Gerber’s CARE Certified ground chicken, this is a hand-held meal that everyone will want to sink their teeth into.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You don’t have to make the dough from scratch! Baking biscuits can be time consuming. Heinen’s has a variety of ready-made biscuit dough options, so you all you have to do is stuff them.
- You can switch up the protein. Not a fan of ground chicken? Use chorizo, ground turkey or ground beef instead. Heinen’s has the best selection of premium meats to choose from.
- You can take them on-the-go. This is a mess-free meal that you can eat with your hands, so whether you’re having dinner in the car between evening commitments or hanging out at a tailgate, you can enjoy it without any utensils.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 16 Buns
- 16 Baker's Harvest jumbo buttermilk biscuits
- 1 lb. Gerber’s CARE Certified ground chicken
- 1 shallot, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 6 Tbsp. soy sauce
- ¼ cup Heinen’s honey
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp. Heinen’s organic red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 Heinen’s cage free egg, for egg wash
- Heinen’s organic sesame seeds, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, honey, lime juice and red pepper flakes.
- In a skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and soy sauce mixture. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the arrowroot powder and 2 tsp. of water. Add it to the skillet and cook until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Roll each biscuit into rounds. Place about 2 Tbsp. of the chicken mixture in the center of the dough. Gather the edges to the center and pinch to seal.
- Place the buns on the prepared sheet pan, smooth side up.
- Beat the egg and brush it over the top of the buns.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.