The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Take a basic chicken and rice bowl to the next level with the addition of homemade hot honey!
Hot honey adds sweet heat to compliment savory proteins and a wide variety of roasted vegetables. Once you see how fast and easy it is to make, you may be tempted to drizzle it on everything!
The intense sweetness of the honey really mellows the kick of the crushed red pepper flakes, but you can strain out the chili flakes to reduce the spice factor. If you have hot honey left, serve it on a cheeseboard, mix it with mustard for a spicy honey mustard sandwich spread, whisk it into dressings that call for honey or toss it with roasted brussels sprouts and pecans.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 ½ tsp. Heinen’s garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ¾ tsp. Heinen’s onion powder
- ½ tsp. Heinen’s paprika
- ½ cup Heinen’s honey
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s crushed red chili pepper
- 2 tsp. Heinen’s apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb. Gerber’s CARE Certified boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s avocado oil
- 2 containers Heinen’s cooked brown rice
- Preheat the oven to 450º F. Spray a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small dish, mix together the garlic powder, salt, onion powder and smoked paprika. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the honey and crushed red chili pepper. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar. Allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a jar and set aside. For less heat, strain out the chili pepper.
- Cut the chicken, zucchini, yellow squash and red bell pepper into 1-inch pieces. Toss in avocado oil and the spice mixture. Arrange in an even layer on the sheet pan.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Remove the pan from oven. Drizzle ¼ cup of the hot honey over the chicken and vegetables and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer and transfer the pan to broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until the chicken begins to caramelize.
- Heat the rice according to the package directions. Spoon the rice into bowls and top with the chicken and vegetables. Drizzle with more hot honey, to taste.