There are a few things in my life that I have dismissed as being too difficult to make, so I have avoided it altogether.
A few years ago it was homemade pie crust. Yes, with all my experience cooking and my history with food, I left pie-making to the experts. I was embarrassed to let anyone know that I had never actually made my own pie crust, but when I finally worked up the courage to try it, I was genuinely shocked at how easy it truly is!
If you’re feeling the same way I felt, I am here to ease your mind and share the simplicity of making a delicious and beautiful classic pie crust. If you are already a seasoned pie crust pro, stick around! It never hurts to brush up on old skills!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 12-inch Pie
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup ice water
- In a bowl with a pastry cutter, or in a food processor, add the flour, salt and cold, sliced butter. Mix until the blend looks like small pebbles. Small pieces of butter should still be visible.
- Slowly add the ice water, mixing until the ingredients form a ball of dough. In a food processor, this will take less than a minute.
- Cut the ball of dough in half and press it into a disc. Wrap it in plastic and place it in the refrigerator for thirty minutes to rest and chill.
- Unwrap the chilled dough onto a floured surface.
- Roll the first piece into a circle about three inches bigger than the pie plate.
- Lay this crust into a buttered pie plate.
- Turn the second half of dough into into the lattice top, but before beginning, add your desired filling to the pie plate, on top of the bottom crust. Pie fillings are simple and varied. In its simplest form, pie filling requires fruit, sweetener, some sort of thickener, like corn starch or tapioca and butter.
- Roll the second piece of dough out onto a floured surface.
- Cut the dough into thin slices using a dough or pizza cutter.
- Weave the thin slices of dough together on top of the pie using the chart below as a guide. Simply adjust and continue the pattern if using more slices.
- Bake according to the directions of your favorite pie recipe.