Kickin’ it with Kenny: The Dog Days of Summer: No-Cook Recipes
The following recipes were developed by Heinen’s chef and shared live on Kickin’ it with Kenny.
Makes 4 Servings
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon, plus more for topping
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 white onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 cucumbers, chopped, plus more for topping
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- Salt and pepper
- Heinen’s crumbled feta, for topping
- Place the watermelon, tomatoes, garlic, onion, scallion, cucumbers, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno and 2 tsp. each of salt and pepper in a blender. Pulse a few times to achieve a chunky texture.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Serve topped with more watermelon, cucumber and feta cheese.
Bay Scallop Ceviche
Makes 2 Entrée Servings or 4 Side Servings
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice, about 6 limes
- 1/4 cup Heinen’s fresh squeezed orange juice (in the Produce Department)
- 1 lb. Heinen’s frozen bay scallops
- 1 medium-size avocado, chopped into small cubes
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen’s salt
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Squeeze the fresh lime juice into a bowl and add the orange juice. Stir to combine.
- Add the scallops to the lime and orange juice mixture, making sure the juice completely covers the scallops. Place the bowl in the fridge and marinate for 4-6 hours.
- Right before the scallops are done marinating, cut all other ingredients and mix together in a bowl.
- Drain 90% of the liquid from the scallops, and add the scallops to the bowl with all of the other ingredients. Mix gently. Add a pinch of sea salt.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Zoodles & Veggies
Makes 4 Servings
- 2 16 oz. packages Heinen’s zucchini spirals (in the Produce Department)
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup chives
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 16 oz. Heinen’s marinara sauce (in the Deli Department with the fresh pasta)
- Place zucchini spirals in a large bowl.
- Wash and chop all other veggies and chives. For ease, use a food processor to coarsely chop mushrooms, broccoli, carrots and spinach. Use a knife to chop the chives.
- Combine the chopped veggies with the zucchini spirals and top with marinara and hemp seeds.