The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
If you like gyros, you will love this deconstructed Lamb Gyro Bowl. Your favorite gyro ingredients are tossed together into one hearty and healthy dish that is best enjoyed with a fork. You can serve pita bread or pita chips alongside for added crunch!
The star of this bowl is the gyro-spiced lamb! The spice mixture combines Heinen’s cumin, cinnamon, coriander, thyme, oregano, chili powder and dried parsley and gives the meat deep flavor that will remind you of your favorite Middle Eastern meal. Lamb is the perfect winter protein for your favorite belly-warming dishes.
I like to serve my Lamb Gyro Bowls with slices of lemon and a sprinkling of lemon zest to add a finishing zesty flavor. These are both beautiful and filling- the perfect mixture when it comes to a balanced meal!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. Heinen's cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen's cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Heinen's coriander
- 2 tsp. Heinen's oregano
- 1 tsp. Heinen's chili powder
- 1 tsp. Heinen's dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced, divided
- 2 cups Heinen's hummus (any flavor)
- 1 cup tzatziki
- 1 cup Heinen's crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup Heinen's Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/2 large English cucumber, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 green onions, white and green parts chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heinen's pita bread, for serving
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the spice mixture of salt, black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, cinnamon, coriander, thyme, oregano, chili powder and parsley.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and 1/4 cup of red onion. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground lamb and the spice mixture and brown until cooked through, about 5-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Set out two shallow bowls and evenly divide the lamb into each bowl.
- Evenly divide the hummus, tzatziki, crumbled feta, Kalamata olives, red onion, English cucumber, cherry tomatoes, green onions, parsley and mint between the two bowls.
- Serve the gyro bowls with pita bread and lemon wedges.