The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
With citrus in season, you simply must try this light and refreshing Lemon Basil Pasta with White Beans!
It’s a perfect quick weeknight meal and makes great leftovers, too. The cannellini beans add protein and can be easily subbed for any other beans your family prefers, like kidney beans or chickpeas.
Tossed in olive oil, garlic and fresh lemon juice, you will love the vibrant, citrusy flavor that coats each noodle. This is such an easy recipe and one your family is sure to love.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Heinen's artisan organic bagged pasta
- 1/4 cup Heinen's extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. Heinen's dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's crushed red pepper, optional
- 1 cup fresh basil, finely shredded, plus more for garnish
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 15 oz. can Heinen's Cannellini beans (or try chickpeas or kidney beans)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heinen's 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano, optional garnish
- Fresh parsley, chopped for optional garnish
- Boil the pasta according to the package instructions. Once the pasta is done cooking, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and drain the pasta. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the dried oregano and crushed red pepper and sauté for another minute.
- Add the pasta, white beans, remaining olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix well. Add the reserved pasta water in small amounts until the lemon sauce reaches your desired consistency. Mix continuously.
- Garnish the pasta with Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and basil, if desired.
- Sub in chickpeas or kidney beans for the white beans, if desired.
- Try adding a green, like arugula or spinach at the end of and stir until wilted.
- Sub the basil for dill or parsley, if desired.