The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
Baked Beans! I know, I know, you’re thinking “bean there done that.” Well, you’ve never had the musical fruit prepared like this before! These beans shouldn’t even be called beans because in reality, they’re what you’d get if baked beans and sloppy Joe’s had a food baby. They are loaded with tender ground beef and smoky bacon, making a perfect treat for any summer barbecue. Offering up a bowl of these beans is a surefire way to get an invite back to the next cookout!
As usual, my recipes include a ton of my favorites from Heinen’s. Their CARE Certified beef ends up on our dinner table multiple nights each week and their 50% less sugar and sodium ketchup has become a staple in my pantry. This recipe is also packed full of Heinen’s extra thick-cut bacon. You are truly missing out if you’ve yet to indulge in this juicy treat – it’s almost like snacking on a thick slice of pork belly!
This is a very special recipe because I stole it from my mom. I know some people are reserved about sharing family recipes, but momma always taught me that sharing is caring. These beans have been on my plate for as long as I can remember and I am proud to share them with you.
Welcome to the family!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Heinen’s CARE Certified ground beef
- 1/2 lb. Heinen’s thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium-size white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cans of kidney beans, undrained
- 1 15 oz. can of butter beans, undrained
- 1 16 oz. can of your favorite baked beans
- 1/2 cup Heinen’s 50% less sugar and sodium ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. barbecue sauce
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F or get out your slow cooker. I prefer the slow cooker for these beans as you can “set it and forget it.” These make the perfect side when you have to be responsible for the grill too!
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the ground beef, onions, jalapeño, garlic and bacon until the beef is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and add to a large baking dish or slow cooker.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well. It is very important to not drain the beans.
- If using the oven, bake the beans for 45 minutes. If using a slow cooker, set on low and cook for at least four hours. Enjoy!
Note: Save the leftovers to serve between a hamburger bun or as a hot dog topping.