The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
I love a good potato salad, but something about the classically heavy mayo base in the heat of summer is not always appetizing. This particular potato salad solves that issue by swapping traditional mayo for a light olive oil and honey mustard dressing.
The flavors and textures are the perfect compliment to fresh-off-the-grill burgers, plus it’s a great option for those who are dairy-free.
Prep this easy-to-make side dish the day before, but wait until you’re ready to serve to add the dressing. Since there’s no mayo, you won’t have to worry about it spoiling in the heat.
Your summer guests will love the combination of fresh summer herbs and tender red potatoes in this lightened potato salad.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Potato Salad
- 2 lbs. small red potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Heinen's capers
- 4-5 green onions, green and white parts chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh dill, minced
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup Heinen's extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 Tbsp. Heinen’s white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. Heinen’s Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- To a large pot, add the sliced potatoes and 1 Tbsp. of salt. Cover the potatoes with water.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low heat and cook for about 6-7 minutes, or until the potatoes can be pierced easily with a knife. Don’t overcook. Drain and cool the potatoes.
- Add the cooked potatoes to a large mixing bowl with the red onion, capers, green onions and celery. Gently toss.
- Mix in the parsley, basil and dill. If prepping in advance, store the potato salad in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
- When you’re ready to serve, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a Mason jar or salad dressing container. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the potato salad and gently toss.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.