The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Warm, hearty and bursting with Mediterranean flavor, this beef-based meal is a simple slow cooker supper that’s super delicious!
Prepped quickly and cooked low and slow, Heinen’s tender CARE Certified beef chuck stew meat is the ideal protein to pair with fire roasted tomatoes, carrots, spices and assorted olives. Topped with feta cheese and fresh parsley and served over basmati rice, your whole family will love this healthy, filling meal!
Mediterranean Beef with Mixed Olives & Feta
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs. Heinen's CARE certified beef chuck stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15 oz. cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups assorted olives, pitted (for extra spice, use chili pepper olives)
- 2 cups matchstick carrots
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups Heinen’s basmati rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup Heinen’s feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Naan bread, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown each side. This helps bring out the flavor in the beef before cooking, but this step can be skipped if short on time.
- In a large slow cooker, add the beef mixture, fire roasted tomatoes, olives, carrots, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 8-9 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the beef is fork-tender.
- Serve warm over basmati rice with feta cheese, fresh parsley and naan bread.
- You can use any variety of olives you like for this recipe, but make sure they are pitted.
- If you don’t want to use fire roasted tomatoes, feel free to use regular.