The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
This Mediterranean Egg Scramble is a healthy way to start the day and can also double as lunch or dinner!
Eggs are obviously a key ingredient, but the true star of this show is Path of Life’s Mediterranean Quinoa Blend. Located in Heinen’s Frozen Department, this time-saving staple is tossed with cherry tomatoes, spinach, and basil and finished with olive oil and garlic, making it a conveniently flavorful addition to any meal.
Scrambled with roasted red peppers, red onion, spinach, feta cheese and za’atar, these are not your average eggs!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s roasted red peppers, finely chopped
- 4 Heinen’s cage free eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup of Path of Life Mediterranean quinoa blend, cooked according to package instructions
- 1/2 tsp. Terranean za'atar or Greek seasoning of choice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the onion and roasted red peppers and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Whisk the 4 eggs in a bowl until combined.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet with the onion and roasted red peppers. Let the eggs cook for a few seconds without stirring.
- Using a rubber spatula, pull the eggs across the bottom of the pan to form the large curds.
- Stir in the spinach, cooked quinoa, feta cheese, za’atar, salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat, folding and stirring the eggs every few seconds. Use the spatula to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan often to form more soft curds.
- Once the eggs are mostly set, remove the pan from the stove and serve with fresh parsley, extra za’atar and crushed red pepper.
- Make sure the red onion, spinach and roasted red peppers are finely chopped. It helps everything cook evenly with the eggs.
- Feel free to use whatever spices you like. I enjoy a Greek seasoning blended, Italian seasoning, dill or oregano.
- You can use a different cheese in place of the feta, like goat cheese, Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese. Cheese can also be omitted completely.