The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
If you asked me which is easier – counting to 10 or this recipe – I’d hands-down say this recipe. Math wasn’t my best subject, but still, the point remains! This Miso Salmon Bowl is that easy and a real lifesaver on those busy nights when planning dinner may not be on your mind!
This dish is not only nutritious, but also extremely delicious! Miso has a very distinct smell and flavor. If you’ve never cooked with it before, you’re in for a treat. It tastes similar to soy sauce, but with a much deeper umami flavor. The sweet and salty notes are the perfect match for a flavorful salmon marinade. This particular marinade is loaded with miso, honey and soy sauce. After it works it’s magic on the fish, it is served directly atop steamed rice for a light and fresh meal that is bursting with flavor.
Like most of my recipes, this is just a starting point. You can serve this salmon with any type of veggies, toppings or sauces you like! I like to serve mine with roasted bok choy, sesame seeds and nori chips, which I use to scoop the rest of the food. This is also a phenomenal dish to make ahead of time and serve cold the following day for lunch.
Lets get cookin’!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Bowls
For the Salmon
- 2 6-8 oz. salmon filets
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. miso paste
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen's honey
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Heinen's olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. green onion, divided
- Sesame seeds, bok choy, etc., for garnish
For the Sriracha Glaze
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp. Heinen's honey
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. sriracha
- Combine the miso paste, honey, soy sauce and oil in a bowl. Whisk until miso paste is broken down. Add 1 Tbsp. of the green onions. Pour the marinade over the salmon and seal in an airtight container for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the salmon on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place into the oven for 10 minutes. This cook time is for salmon that is around 3/4-inch thick. You may need to adjust the cook time depending on how thick your fish is.
- While the salmon is cooking, combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl. After 10 minutes, remove the salmon, and brush the glaze onto the fish. Return to the over for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately over Heinen’s organic cooked white rice and a small portion of your favorite vegetables. Top with sesame seeds and the remaining green onions. Enjoy!