These burgers are completely meatless, but they cook up with a crusty exterior that gives you the feeling of a grilled burger without all the calories. The mushrooms offer a firm, meaty texture and far more nutrients and flavor.
They come together easily using an ice cream scoop to make equal-portioned patties.
They’re best served with a lettuce bun, for burger traditionalistis, a brioche roll would be amazing!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1/2 large bunch kale
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 large tomato
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen's almond butter
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen's smoked paprika
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup almond flour, plus more to prevent the patties sticking to your hands
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- 4 lettuce wraps or large pieces of leaf lettuce
- Choice of preferred toppings
- Rinse the kale under cold water.
- Cut the vein from each leaf and discard.
- Roughly chop the rest of the leaves and transfer to a medium-size bowl.
- Sprinkle the kale with the sea salt and massage it through all of the chopped kale.
- Slice the tomato into wedges, cutting out the seeds. Place the tomato into a food processor.
- Add the Portobello mushrooms, cumin, almond butter, garlic, paprika and black pepper.
- Pulse on low speed until smooth and well combined.
- Add the flour and gently mix again.
- Transfer the mixture back into the bowl that the kale was resting in.
- Add the almond flour and fold through with a spatula.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions, forming each one into a patty. Tip: Use a ½ cup scoop to form a ball, then shape with your hands into a patty. Be sure to use some extra almond flour to dust your hands.
- lightlu dust a sheet tray with flour and place each burger onto it.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan over a medium-low heat. Place the burgers into the hot pan and cook on one side for about 3-4 minutes, or until the burger has formed a nice, dark crust.
- Flip the burgers and repeat on the other side.
- Place each burger onto the lettuce and dress with your choice of toppings.
- Finish with a top piece of lettuce.