Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
For dinner tonight, I’m channeling the beloved flavors of french onion soup to create a One-Pan French Onion Beef Casserole that’s designed for busy weeknights!
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 1 lb. of beef stew meat or ground beef
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 3 Tbsp. of all purpose flour
- 3 cups of beef stock
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lb. cooked egg noodles
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil in a large casserole pan over medium-high heat and cook the stew meat for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned and just cooked through. Set aside.
- Place the pan back on the burner and add in the remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil.
- Add the onions and cook for 6-8 minutes or until browned.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then mix in the flour until combined.
- Add the cooked beef back into the pan followed by the beef stock. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until thick like a gravy.
- Add the thyme, salt and pepper and mix in.
- Add the cooked noodles and fold all of the ingredients together.
- Top with the fried onions and add chopped parsley for garnish, if desired.