The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
- Total time:
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 2 bell peppers (any color), diced
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 oz taco seasoning packet
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat rotini (8 oz)
- 1 cup finely shredded Mexican-style cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- In a large, deep, 12-inch skillet or dutch oven (with lid), brown and crumble ground beef over medium heat until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Add diced bell peppers and onion and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and taco seasoning and cook 1 minute more.
- Next, pour in the beef broth and salsa and bring mixture to a simmer. Once simmering, add the uncooked pasta and give it a good stir to coat. Using the back of spoon, press the pasta into the sauce. Cover the pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once halfway through. When the pasta is tender, turn off heat and stir in the cheese and cilantro. Check for seasoning and add salt to taste.