Pan seared grouper is topped with lemon-chive butter and a barigoule made of braised carrots, artichokes, shallots and garlic in this quick and easy recipe.
Butter & Grouper:
4 ounces of unsalted butter, softened + 1 ounce for cooking
juice of ½ lemon
2 tablespoons of chopped chives
1 ½ pounds of fresh grouper
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Barigoule:
4 strips of chopped bacon strips
2 bunches of trimmed and peeled baby tri-colored carrots
2 15-ounce cans of whole artichokes, strained
½ peeled and sliced shallot
4 sliced cloves of garlic
2 cups of vegetable stock
kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
optional garnish: thyme leaves
1. Butter: In a bowl whisk together the 4 ounces of softened butter, lemon juice, chives and salt and pepper until combined and set aside.
2. Barigoule: In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add in the bacon and cook until crispy.
3. Once browned, remove the bacon and add the carrots, artichokes, shallots and garlic to the rendered bacon fat and cook over medium to low heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until they begin to form light brown marks.
4. Add in the vegetable stock and simmer over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
5. Grouper: Season the fish well on all sides with salt and pepper.
6. Add the oil to a large sauté pan over high heat and once it begins to lightly smoke add in the fish and turn down to medium-high heat. Immediately add in the 1 ounce of butter to the pan to help brown.
7. Cook the fish for 3 to 4 minutes before flipping over and cooking for a further 3 to 4 minutes or until it is cooked.
8. To Plate: Serve the grouper over the barigoule and add optional garnish, thyme leaves.