The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
Panko Crusted Cauliflower Mac and Cheese won’t leave you missing the carbs, I promise!
Creamy? Check. Cheesy? Check. Panko-crusted top? You betcha! Sounds like Mac and Cheese to me! But there’s one big secret ingredient that takes this recipe over the top… cauliflower!
That’s right! Cauliflower is transformed into a delicious base for this new spin on Mac and Cheese.
If you’re looking to sneak more veggies into your family’s diet, this is the meal for you. Your kids won’t even know its missing the macaroni.
Short on time? This is also a great recipe to prep ahead and eat throughout the week.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 packs Heinen’s Mac & Cheese Cheese Blend
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, blanch cauliflower for 5 minutes. Drain cauliflower in a colander to dry. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to low, add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and whisk until combined. Add hot sauce, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Keep heat on low and stir in cheeses until fully melted. Add Greek yogurt and stir well.
- Add cauliflower to cheese mixture and stir.
- Pour cauliflower cheese mixture in a large, greased baking dish. Sprinkle Panko breadcrumbs evenly over cauliflower.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Garnish with chopped chives.