Perfect for a spring brunch, these Passion Fruit Chocolate Chip Scones combine the best of fruit and chocolate in one unique and delectable baked good.
The bright, tropical flavor of passion fruit and rich milk chocolate chips complement each other in a flavor combination typically found at fine dining restaurants.
In this recipe, the milk chocolate chips are baked into an easy-to-prepare scone that’s topped with a passion fruit glaze, which comes together quickly with a simple combination of the fruit pulp and powdered sugar.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 6 Tbsp. butter, chilled and cut into chunks
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup passion fruit pulp and seeds (from 2-3 passion fruits)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and use your hands or a pastry cutter to mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg and whole milk, stirring until just combined.
- Add milk chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface. Shape into a 7 1/2-inch diameter circle that is approximately 1-inch tall. Cut into 8 triangles.
- Arrange scones on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Bake at 425˚F for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Allow to cool completely.
- Prepare passion fruit glaze by combining passion fruit pulp, powdered sugar and yellow food coloring in a small bowl.
- Spread over top of cooled scones.