The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Heinen’s CARE Certified rotisserie chickens are one of my absolute must-have shortcut ingredients for weeknight cooking. They are so juicy and flavorful and perfect to serve on their own or incorporate into soups, casseroles, salads, and sandwiches, like these pitas.
This pita sandwich is inspired by a local restaurant that specializes in Mediterranean-style salads and sandwiches packed with seasoned proteins, roasted vegetables, an assortment of pickled vegetables, and various dips and sauces. I love how easy it is to recreate at home using Heinen’s rotisserie chicken!
Why You’ll Love it:
- A flavorful, restaurant-style pita can be recreated at home using flavorful ingredients from Heinen’s, including Heinen’s rotisserie chicken, baba ghanouj, pickled beets, and pita bread.
- This recipe is so versatile. Top salad greens or a grain bowl with the various components for a different spin to suit everyone’s tastes.
- This recipe is great for meal prep! Each of the components can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge for 3 to 4 days, then assembled into pitas or bowls on demand. You can also purchase Heinen’s Rotisserie Chicken chilled in the Prepared Foods Department if you plan to serve it later in the week.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Pickled Vegetables
- ½ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. Heinen's sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¾ cup mini cucumbers, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup radishes, thinly sliced
- 8-10 Heinen’s pickled baby beets (in the jar), pickling liquid reserved
- 1 ½ cups purple cabbage, finely shredded
For the Roasted Vegetables
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch coins
- ½ medium head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1-2 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- Terranean za’atar seasoning
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
For the Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- ½ cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 ½ - 2 tsp. garlic, freshly pressed
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. water
- Heinen’s plain pocket pita bread, warmed and halved
- Heinen’s baba ghanouj
- Heinen’s CARE Certified rotisserie chicken (warm), breast meat removed and shredded
- Heinen’s Bulgarian sheep’s milk feta
- Preheat oven to 425° F
- While the oven pre-heats, prepare the pickles. Whisk together the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a jar. Add the sliced mini cucumbers and radishes and mix well to combine; set aside. Dice the pickled beets and transfer to a small bowl. Pour ½ cup of the reserved pickling liquid from the jar of beets over the shredded cabbage in a separate bowl. Allow all pickles to sit while you prepare the other components, ideally for 30 minutes.
- Once the oven is to temp, toss the carrots and cauliflower with the olive oil on a large parchment-lined sheet pan. Season with za’atar seasoning and salt to taste. Roast for 25 minutes. Toss with cilantro.
- Whisk together the garlic sauce ingredients in a bowl; set aside.
- To assemble pitas, spread a layer of baba ghannouj on the inside of a pita bread half. Top with shredded chicken, roasted vegetables, pickled vegetables, feta, and garlic sauce. Serve immediately.