The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
If you follow a vegan diet or are simply interested in including more plant-based versions of your favorite foods in your meals, Heinen’s has you covered! Lucky for us, we have access to a Specialty Cheese Lead in every Heinen’s store who can guide us through their offerings! This perk is so helpful, especially if you’re new to the world of vegan cheese, trying to pair cheeses for a cheese plate, or looking for plant-based alternatives for a recipe.
This grilled cheese features three plant-based cheeses you can find in the Dairy Department and Specialty Cheese Department. They’re unique and delicious on their own, but pair really well together, especially with sweet-tart seasonal fruit like blackberries and peaches. Be sure to try this grilled cheese on Mediterra Bakehouse sourdough and use a vegan butter (I love Miyoko’s) to keep this entirely plant-based.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- In addition to a wide selection of plant-based proteins, Heinen’s carries a large variety of plant-based cheeses and spreads. Arguably one of the best selections in the region. Look for it in the Specialty Cheese Department and the Dairy Department.
- Fresh local peaches are at its peak in the middle of summer, and they pair perfectly with any type of berry and creamy cheese.
- This grilled cheese isn’t complete without a loaf of fresh sourdough bread from Mediterra Bakehouse. Found in your local Heinen’s bakery, our partners at Mediterra naturally ferment each and every loaf to ensure nutrient retention and the best possible flavor. Stop by your local Heinen’s and pick up a loaf or two!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Tbsp. Miyoko’s Creamery cultured vegan butter, softened
- 2 slices Mediterra Bakehouse sourdough bread
- 1-2 Tbsp. Treeline dairy-free goat-style cheese
- 3-4 blackberries
- 3-4 thin ripe peach slices
- 1 slice Rind plant-based carrot cheese
- 1 slice Chao Creamery plant-based creamy original
- Spread the vegan butter on the outside of both bread slices.
- On the inside of one slice, spread the goat-style cheese. Top with blackberries and mash slightly with a fork. Top with peach slices, remaining cheese slices, and other bread half (buttered side out).
- Heat a nonstick pan or griddle over medium-low heat. Add sandwich and grill until light golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total.